Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew recipe in Combekk's Dutch Oven
Colder days call for easy one-pot comfort food! Therefore we would like to share one of our favorite vegan Autumn recipes that you can prepare in the sustainable, 100% recycled cast iron Dutch Oven from Combekk.
Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew from Oh She Glows.
This satisfying and lightly spicy dish will let you experience the incredible match between peanut butter and sweet potato. Are you a fan of spicy food? Then you can add some cayenne pepper for a bit of an extra kick.
Servings: Makes 6 servings
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded, if desired, and diced (optional)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
⅓ cup natural peanut butter
4 cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
1½ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 handfuls baby spinach or destemmed, torn kale leaves
Fresh cilantro or parsley leaves, for serving
Roasted peanuts, for serving
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the bell pepper, jalapeño (if using), sweet potato, and tomatoes with their juices. Raise the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season the vegetables with salt and black pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and 1 cup of the vegetable broth until no clumps remain. Stir the mixture into the vegetables along with the remaining 3 cups broth, chili powder, and the cayenne (if using).
4. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is fork-tender.
5. Stir in the chickpeas and spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
6. Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with cilantro and roasted peanuts.
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Copyright © 2014 Glo Bakery Corporation. All rights reserved.